An NYCxDESIGN competition sponsored by Caesarstone
In collaboration with Design Trust for Public Space, Dumbo BID, and Downtown Alliance
Outdoor, public gathering space has always been a precious commodity in NYC as it is key to fostering engagement and community connection. Especially after a year of remaining inside and physically apart, these spaces are essential to reconnecting, reenergizing, and reestablishing strong community.
NYCxDESIGN is proud to present IMPACTxDESIGN; A new design competition in partnership with Caesarstone to showcase how design can enhance public space and foster engagement. Selected in collaboration with the Design Trust for Public Space, Dumbo Brooklyn and Downtown Manhattan, two historic neighborhoods and city-centers for the arts and commerce, have been identified as locations for design installations that will help bring people together and connect starting this fall. The program will offer two winning designers the chance to make their mark on the city’s landscape and gain invaluable exposure.
Designers are invited to submit proposals that introduce new opportunities for public gathering with the use of Caesarstone material as the primary fabrication resource.
Proposals should offer a functional design installation or set of products that can be integrated into the existing spaces to transform them into:
- Ideal places for congregation and conversation with neighbors
- Spaces for people to gather over a meal or cup of coffee
- A space to slow down, reflect, and breath fresh air
In May 2021, two designers will be announced and awarded $10,000 each. Each designer will work with NYCxDESIGN, Caesarstone, Design Trust for Public Space, Dumbo BID, and Downtown Alliance on a five-month project to bring the winning designs to life and unveil the installations in Fall 2021. The installations will remain in the location for at least one year from install date.
*Download the full brief here.
NYCxDESIGN will consider proposals from designers/design businesses who are located within the five boroughs of New York City (Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, The Bronx). Architectural firms, artists, industrial designers, engineering firms, individuals, and other entities are all eligible to apply.
Two winning designers will each receive a $10,000 award and be featured in a documentary-style video series following the project from inception to completion. All designs will be funded and locally fabricated by Caesarstone. Winning designers will work alongside all partners to refine the winning design based on the specific sites and to ensure feasibility from a public safety, scope, and cost perspective. The winners will also have the opportunity to work alongside Caesarstone to consult on the build process, but all material sourcing and fabrication will be done by Caesarstone in NYC.
Winning designers will consult with all participating program partners on fabrication, installation, and community engagement.
- Dumbo Brooklyn
- Dumbo is a vibrant waterfront neighborhood full of amazing vistas and public space. As the Dumbo BID looks toward post-pandemic recovery, the district is eager to introduce innovative and safe gathering space for the increasing number of families and office workers. The neighborhood is ripe for functional design installations that promote open space and enhance social distancing.
- Downtown Manhattan
- The Downtown Alliance is striving to make Lower Manhattan a wonderful place to live, work, and play by creating a vibrant, multi-use neighborhood where businesses can prosper, and the residential community can flourish. Serving an area from roughly City Hall to the Battery, from the East River to West Street, the district is focused on activating corridors and making historically important corners of New York City secure, welcoming and engaging.
Materials and Fabrication
- Proposed designs should be conceptualized in a way that they can be either scaled up or down depending on the exact site size and location.
- Designs must include primarily Caesarstone material, more specifically, the Outdoor collection including the three shades that can be found here.
- If you choose to incorporate additional material types into your proposal, please ensure that at least 80% of the design features Caesarstone, with an optional 20% use of other materials. Which cannot be of either quartz or natural stone.
- All designs will be funded and locally fabricated by Caesarstone. Winning designers will work alongside Caesarstone to consult on the build process, but all material sourcing and fabrication will be done by Caesarstone in NYC.
- Winning designers will consult with all participating program partners on fabrication, installation, and community engagement
A jury of representatives from NYCxDESIGN, Caesarstone, Design Trust for Public Space, Dumbo BID, and Downtown Alliance will review proposals beginning April 9, 2021.
Finalists will be notified. NYCxDESIGN and the jury reserves the right to request additional back-up information from finalists. The jury will aim to lift up designers from diverse backgrounds and perspectives for the opportunity to present their ideas on a global stage. In addition, the jury will be judging on originality of idea, strong design aesthetic, and clear communication of idea. The jury will select two winning designs, and the designers will be notified.
The two winning designers will receive:
- $10,000 award
- Fabrication and installation of your proposed design
- Video and photo coverage of the project from Spring 2021 through Fall 2021
- Designer interviews
- Community interviews
- B-roll of the locations before and after the installation
In addition to the above, winners will receive:
- Recognition in a media announcement announcing the IMPACTxDESIGN winners
- Article about IMPACTxDESIGN in the October 2021 edition of NYCxDESIGN: The Magazine
- Virtual conversation with IMPACTxDESIGN winners
- Your project included on the IMPACTxDESIGN landing page on nycxdesign.org
- Robust social media campaign promoting IMPACTxDESIGN including your winning design